January 22-28, 2016
We’ve got a rather surprising winner in the weekly jewel review this week. Vote for your favorite in the poll below!
10. Princess Charlene of Monaco donned a sparkling pair of stud earrings during a ceremony in honor of Monaco’s patroness, Sainte Devote, on Tuesday.
9. For the presentation of scholarships from the Micael Bindefeld Foundation on Wednesday, Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden wore a pair of pearl drop earrings.
8. Queen Silvia of Sweden also chose pearl earrings, plus an unusual brooch, for the opening of an exhibition of royal clocks on Friday.
7. I almost ranked this photograph first, just because it’s absolutely bonkers, but if you can look past Alessandra Borghese, Bianca Jagger (!), and that hat (!!!), Princess Gloria of Thurn and Taxis wore pearl earrings at a signing for her new book in Paris on Monday. Phew.
6. Queen Maxima of the Netherlands selected dangling diamond earrings and a dazzling dress for a concert in Brussels on Friday.
5. She wasn’t the only queen consort at the concert; Queen Mathilde of the Belgians also attended, and she wore her lovely diamond tassel earrings.
4. Mathilde wore a set of intriguing modern gold jewelry on Wednesday at an engagement in Brussels.
3. And Maxima also wore a set of gold statement jewelry on Thursday at a film festival in Rotterdam.
2. It may be familiar, but it’s still wonderful: the Duchess of Cornwall wore one of her pearl necklaces with a diamond clasp at Wilton’s Music Hall on Thursday.
1. But my dark-horse vote for the best jewels of the week goes to a woman who once was royal: Sarah, Duchess of York, who wore the diamond necklace and earrings that were wedding gift from Queen Elizabeth II at a charity gala in London on Monday. (These were the same diamonds, FYI, that were a part of the strange theft at JFK in the ’90s. More on that story over here…)