8. King Philippe and Queen Mathilde of the Belgians led the procession of mourners at Fabiola’s funeral. Mathilde wore luminous pearls to remember her husband’s aunt; both she and Philippe were very close to Fabiola.
7. Queen Sofia of Spain attended two high-profile funerals this week. After returning from the Spanish-born Fabiola’s funeral in Belgium, she attended the second memorial service for the late Duchess of Alba. Above, she wears pearls and a gold brooch — a fitting tribute to a woman who loved jewelry — while comforting the duchess’s daughter, Eugenia.
6. The Duchess of Cambridge attended a happier occasion this week: the Queen’s annual Christmas lunch for the royal family at Buckingham Palace. The sparkling chandelier earrings Kate wore have been in her collection since before her engagement.
5. Our Magpie of the Month, Princess Alexandra, also attended Wednesday’s Christmas lunch wearing an intriguing pair of earrings.
4. The Duchess of Cornwall attended a Christmas carol concert at St. Paul’s Cathedral on Tuesday evening, wearing her diamond and sapphire butterfly brooch with her usual pearls.
3. Queen Maxima of the Netherlands also selected pearls to open the “Secret of Dresden” exhibition at the Groninger Museum on Friday.
2. The Belgian royals both mourned and celebrated this week. They attended the annual Christmas concert on Wednesday, and Queen Mathilde wore a gorgeous pair of diamond earrings.
1. While Queen Mathilde has favored large earrings this year, her sisters-in-law went with big necklaces for the annual Christmas concert. Princess Claire went with a gold breastplate, while Princess Astrid went with sparkling black beads with a large geometric pendant.