In July 2008, one of the Queen’s cousins married her sweetheart in an elegant wedding ceremony in London. Today, we’re shining our sparkling spotlight on Lady Rose Windsor’s wedding jewels.
Lady Rose, the younger daughter of the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester, is a first cousin once removed of the Queen. She arrived at the Queen’s Chapel in London on the arm of her father for her wedding on July 19, 2008.
Under a garland of roses (a very appropriate choice!) Lady Rose married George Gilman at the chapel, which is adjacent to the St. James’s Palace complex in London. George is the son of Peter Gilman, a property developer who was once also director of the Leeds United soccer club.
Rose wore a vintage-inspired wedding gown by Franka Couture, a London-based dressmaking firm. She added to the gown’s vintage feel by pinning a pair of diamond dress clips to the neckline of the dress. The clips originally belonged to Rose’s grandmother, Princess Alice, Duchess of Gloucester. The jewels are a (removable) part of Princess Alice’s diamond and emerald bandeau tiara, which was a wedding gift from her husband, Prince Henry, Duke of Gloucester.
But the star jewel of Lady Rose’s wedding ensemble was definitely the Iveagh Tiara. This delicate, lacy kokoshnik-style tiara was a wedding present given to Queen Mary by members of the Guinness family. In a rare move, Mary never made any major changes to the tiara, bequeathing the piece in its original form to Princess Alice, Duchess of Gloucester in 1953. It’s been with the Gloucesters ever since, and it made a truly beautiful bridal tiara for Lady Rose.