In 1977, as she celebrated the 25th year of her reign, Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh embarked on a Silver Jubilee tour of Commonwealth nations. In New Zealand, she wore major jewels—and her newest tiara!—for the opening of parliament.
The Queen and the Duke headed to Parliament House in Wellington for the state opening on February 28, 1977.
The Queen also officially opened the Beehive, the newly-built executive wing of the parliamentary complex, during the visit. She’s pictured here with Prime Minister Robert Muldoon, and she’s smiling because the little curtain in front of the plaque is stuck! (The Queen and other members of the royal family famously love it when little things go wrong during royal engagements.)
For her parliament appearance, the Queen wore a white gown decorated with gold fringe details. She accessorized with white gloves and a metallic clutch bag and shoes. She also wore the sash and star of the Order of the Garter and the Royal Family Orders of her father, King George VI, and her grandfather, King George V.
Rubies and diamonds were her jewel of choice for the day. She wore the Burmese Ruby Tiara, made four years earlier by Garrard using a cache of rubies she received as a wedding gift in 1947 (and diamonds from the dismantled Nizam of Hyderabad Tiara). She paired the tiara with Queen Mary’s Ruby Cluster Earrings, the Baring Ruby Necklace, the Diamond and Ruby Art Deco Bracelet, and a diamond watch.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.