|Crown Princess Victoria wears the cameo parure |
With Valentine's Day coming up at the end of this week, people around the world are turning their thoughts toward romance. What better way could their be to celebrate a holiday about love than by looking at some of the most romantic pieces of jewelry in royal collections? Here are five of my favorite romantic royal jewels -- please feel free to nominate more Valentine-worthy jewels in the comments!
The Cameo Parure
|Queen Silvia wears the cameo tiara |
Queen Elizabeth II's Engagement Ring
|Alice of Battenberg |
The Khedive of Egypt Tiara
|Ingrid of Denmark |
Alexandra Feodorovna's Aquamarine Brooch
|Alix of Hesse |
The Cambridge Emeralds
|Queen Mary |
NOTES, PHOTO CREDITS, AND LINKS
1. Cropped version of a photograph available via Wikimedia Commons; source here.
2. At the time of this posting, the documentary is available on YouTube.
3. Cropped still from a YouTube video; source here.
4. Detail of a picture postcard in the public domain; source here.
5. Cropped version of a photograph available via Wikimedia Commons; source here.
6. Cropped version of a photograph available via the Royal Collection; source here.
7. Read more of the brooch's story, as told by Munn, here; additional information on the piece is also available at Ursula's site.
8. The Telegraph has more on Frank Teck's will, including its legacy for royal wills that followed.
9. Cropped version of a photograph in the public domain; source here.
10. See Roberts, The Queen's Diamonds, pp. 174-77.