June 13-19, 2014
9. To introduce the world to the newest Luxembourgish princess — her daughter, Princess Amalia of Nassau — Princess Claire of Luxembourg wore her engagement and wedding rings, plus a silver pendant necklace.
8. Grimaldi girlfriend Beatrice Borromeo attended an event in Milan sans Pierre Casiraghi, but she brought along a stunning pair of bejeweled blue earrings in his stead.
7. Prince George stole the show at the polo on Sunday, but his great-gran shone in bright blue and a silver-toned brooch with a Tudor rose motif.
6. Queen Maxima went casual to watch the Netherlands take on Australia at the FIFA World Cup in Brazil, but she still managed to bring along a bit o’ bling, courtesy a stack of bracelets and a pair of rather fun green earrings.
5. The Duchess of Cambridge stepped into the shoes of her late grandmother, WWII code breaker Valerie Middleton, on a visit to Bletchley Park this week. She sparkled on the day in a pair of diamond and sapphire earrings that many believe originally belonged to Diana, Princess of Wales.
4. At her father’s abdication ceremony on Wednesday, Infanta Elena (for my money, one of the most elegant members of the Spanish royal family) wore pearls and an unusual gold brooch.
3. Here’s a princess who is starting her foray into jewelry early! Infanta Sofia, the younger daughter of the new King Felipe VI of Spain, wore an adorable headband with a small crystal dragonfly ornament to her father’s proclamation ceremony on Thursday.
2. Queen Sofia, who was rightly honored with a standing ovation at her son’s proclamation ceremony on Thursday, used her jewelry to remember her Greek roots and honor Spain. The pendant on her pearl necklace is a diamond and ruby piece that belonged to her late mother, Queen Friederike of Greece. And combined with her pale yellow dress, her ruby jewels echoed the red and yellow colors of the Spanish flag. Way to go, Sofia! You’ve done good work.
1. How could we give the top spot this week to anyone other than Queen Letizia, the new queen consort of Spain? While the new queen eschewed serious jewels at her husband’s proclamation ceremony on Thursday, she wore a pair of gorgeous diamond earrings the previous evening at her last public appearance as the Princess of Asturias. I cannot wait to see what jewelry surprises this new queen has in store for us!